One woman's determined attempt to maintain health, fitness and sanity during a North Dakota winter in a camper.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Ups and Downs

As in anyone's life, this week has had it's high and low points.  Here, it seems to be dialed up a notch, probably because of everything being so far from normal for me.

 On Saturday, we went to Theodore Roosevelt National Park for a run/walk/hike through the Badlands.  It was a pretty day, high puffy clouds and about 43 degrees.We checked out the prairie dog town and man, are they cute!  We followed a nature trail up to a ridge and down onto a road where we encountered a huge bull bison.  He wasn't just standing there, either.  He was trotting towards us at a pretty good clip.  It was definitely one of those "OH, SHIT!' moments.  "Go down this slope and get behind that juniper tree.  Make room for me!' Eric urged quietly. I pushed my way through the scratchy branches and peeked out from behind the trunk. Eric was cautiously checking out the road, and I worried that the beast would come charging over the road bank. Eric  motioned for me to come out, whispering "He's moving on."  I got back up to the road in time to catch one last glimpse of him disappearing around the bend, too late for a photo.  Turns out there was a young couple walking up the road behind the bison and that was why he was running. Whew!

We continued on through some amazing Badland formations and looped back to the truck for a total of about seven miles. It felt great to get some exercise!

Back at the camper, I made a quick pork tenderloin stew with an apple/wine gravy and buttermilk-herb mashed potatoes, with spinach salad as a starter...what a nice way to end a beautiful day.

Sunday was not so great.  We went to the little town of Killdeer, about 100 miles away to investigate a job lead and do some laundry, which can be a challenge with all the oil workers here..  The one laundromat in town was inside a small truck stop, right next to the trucker showers. Kind of scroungy but usable.  We drove another fifteen miles to the appointment which was enlightening but not too productive.  On the way back, we stopped by the truck stop to get a snack to hold us till dinner.  I got out of the truck, and some guys in a pickup stopped, rolled down there window and openly gawked at me.  Now, I'm no 25 year old cupcake.  I'm a 52 year old woman in jeans and a heavy winter coat.  I looked at Eric and said "I'm fully clothed, right?"     This is what happens when the population is only one percent female.  It's downright creepy!

Monday was a middle-ish day. I was trying to make business cards using a downloaded template, something that should have been very simple.  But for me, new computer tasks are almost always an exercise in frustration. When Eric saw my face he knew that I needed a break, so we went out for a walk.  That night for dinner I decided to honor Meatless Monday with portabello mushrooms stuffed with quinoa,spinach and feta cheese, with pan-braised beets in red wine and balsamic vinegar.  With a couple of glasses of wine, my mood improved considerably.  Off to our cozy bed and it's thick down comforter :)    

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I figured out how to use the comments!

    So glad to see you got started on the blog to keep us all informed! Your menus are cracking me up. We need some photos of the mess made from your "simple dinners". :)

    Be safe and keep cuddling in that camper cocoon!

    ReplyDelete