One woman's determined attempt to maintain health, fitness and sanity during a North Dakota winter in a camper.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Progress at Last!


You would think time would creep by if you were living in a camper with those four walls so very close.  Surprisingly that’s not the case.  I’ve been so busy, the days just fly.  I’ve been doing clerical tasks for both Eric and Joey, along with projects on the camper, and of course,  cooking.  On Saturday, Eric and his truck finally got hired to haul frac  water tanks.  Frac water is used to fracture the shale rock so the oil can be extracted. 
 The tanks look like a shipping container but with a set of wheels and they hold about 400 barrels of water. (They are hauled empty).  They are then filled by yet another kind of truck called a vac truck which is a tanker that holds 6,000 to 7,000 gallons.  I heard on NPR that the average well rig requires about 2000 semi-truck trips, 800 of which are for water!  
While Eric was gone from the afternoon to the wee hours, I put up Christmas decorations while listening to “A Charlie Brown Christmas” and sipping Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride tea by Celestial Seasonings (what exactly is “natural sugar cookie flavor”?)  I made a batch of Perfect Cocoa Brownies from thecomfortofcooking.com and happily amused myself by surfing foodgawker.com and Facebook.  It’s amazing how many hours pass in front of the computer, isn’t it?  For once it was still outside and the moon shone in the clear, cold sky.  Eric finally rolled in at 4:30 am, tired but happy. 
I just got hired at a little coffee house called Raw Energy (thanks for the intro, Joey!)  It has nice atmosphere with a yoga room and spinning classroom in the back…who knew?  I’ll be working  two days a week , and Pam, the owner, said she would work with me on the schedule should I be hired at a neighboring restaurant that I’m applying at tomorrow.
So now Eric and I are employed (if just partially) and are now thinking that it really was a good idea to come to North Dakota.  After a month and a half, the pieces are starting to fall into place and we are starting to feel like a part of the community.
It’s been a long time since I’ve had a first day on the job, and I’m pretty happy about it.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment